9.14.2012

Santa Barbara Week 1

After hearing for MONTHS how great and beautiful Santa Barbara is, we finally arrived! I definitely had no complaints that we'd be there for 3 weeks.
This was our first Sunday where we had Training! Yes, that's the beach right behind us.
The dream team was ready to battle the modesty checks during check-in. It's safe to say that's my LEAST favorite part of Check-in. We are always exhausted at the end of it.
Ever heard of the DLG? Well, if you know Jack Johnson and listen to his music, he sings about this place. And you would too if you've been there. The DLG is, by far, the most amazing cafeteria I've ever eaten at (sorry Cannon Center). But there were ENDLESS, delicious options for meals every day. We would grab tons of plates and try each other's food. And we had endless hand scoop ice cream. Hello, DLG 15. 
The weather was seriously perfect the first week. Being right at the beach, the weather would range most days from high 60's to low 70's. For a Southern Girl in the summer, it's pretty unheard of so I was loving it with this fabulous babes every day.

First games night had a little trouble starting up not to mention having to walk to NARNIA to get to the field, but all-in-all it was a great first games night. And getting to be with Ross Cat was fab. 
I love meeting baby siblings. This young chap is my dear friend, Nick Takis' little brother, Nate. He is so much like Nick it's ridiculous. I was happy I finally got to meet him. 
It was safe to say, I was relieved when Game's night was over and ready for some pizza!
Sweet Kaycie Q's baby brother in law came to EFY this week, which was just fantastic to see his lovely face again! 
Compared to other weeks, I had NINE counselors to look over that week. It definitely was a stressful week for me, but these girls were a DREAM to hang out with that week. These were just a few of the fabulous ladies I got to be with all week! I felt so lucky! 
And I know I shouldn't have favorites, but these boys were so fun! When I don't have actual youth in a group of my own, it's hard to find those that you can connect with. These boys were hanging around me all week, eating meals with me, sharing insights with me on things they have been learning, and even waiting in line to get me ice cream! Such a handful, but such great kids!
I was happy to finally have the EFY life with this kid too. He was helping with the Musical Program all week so I didn't see him too much that first week, but we partied together as much as possible! 
And this great kid, Truman, was with us our first week in Sacramento and came to this week as well! We called him our CIT (Counselor in Training) cause he became best buds with all the counselors and was such a fun kid to hang around all week! 
And going week after week with little sleep, Mama Suz was always there giving us Emergen-C to avoid getting sick. Such a great Mama. 
Week 1 was over so of course we headed over to downtown Santa Barbara for the afternoon, hit up the beach for a little bit, and walked around. It was a great day to relax instead of traveling to our next destination like we had done the previous weeks! 
I honestly was so sad week 1 was over, but ready for another great 2 weeks in beautiful Santa Barbara. 

No comments: